The quarantine of 30,000 people has been lifted in Yumen City, after a man died on July 16 from a wild marmot rodent bite. He was infected with bubonic plague, aka the black plague.
On Tuesday, July 22, state media reported that 30,000 residents had been sealed off and banned from leaving, while the 151 people that had come in contact with him have been quarantined.
This is what a marmot from China, Russia, and Mongolia looks like. The rodent is responsible for the death of a man in China who was infected with bubonic plague after handling one. (WIkimedia Commons)
Some reports suggested the marmot was already dead and the 38-year-old man had chopped it up to feed his dog, and came down with a fever later that day.
No further cases have been reported. The bacterial disease can kill a person within 24 hours, according to the World Health Organization, but can be effectively treated if caught quickly. It can also cause gangrene, seizures, and fever.