A disposable chopsticks workshop was discovered in the bathroom of a small apartment in Hubei Province on July 26.
Located in Wuhan City, the apartment was about 1,000 square feet in size, and workers were packing up chopsticks for local street food stalls, according to vistastory.com.
Food expert Shao Chong said that although disposable chopsticks are deemed commercially sterile, prolonged or improper storage can breed a variety of microorganisms, like E. coli or golden staph. Also if the chopsticks go moldy, they may produce aflatoxin, which can cause cancer.
Translated research by Iris.