According to traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), the feet are the roots of the body, and the headquarters of the yin blood, where all three meridians of the liver, spleen, and kidneys intercept. Therefore, it is important to take care of your feet.
Soaking your feet regularly increases the qi (chi) and blood circulation of your whole body, and is an easy way to promote both physical and mental relaxation.
If you suffer from fatigue, menstrual pain, stress, or headaches, maybe you should give your footsies a treat. If your feet and hands are cold and achy, your feet could use some pampering. Here are some tips:
- Soak your feet one hour after eating. A good time is in the evening.
- Choose a container that comfortably fits both feet.
- Fill the container with water that is between 104°F and 122°F.
- Soak your feet for 15-20 minutes.
- On finishing, dry your feet, and put on some warm slippers.
- If you feel dizzy or experience breathlessness, stop immediately, and lie down.
Soaking your feet before bed will help you to wind down, and prepare the body for a much needed good night’s rest. Sweet dreams !