The human heart is like a “perpetual motion machine” with many hidden secrets. If you don’t take care of it, it’ll “protest!”
Here are 9 secrets about your heart you probably don’t know.
1. Your heart has its own ‘power’
Your heart beats on its own with its own “power system,” to ensure it keeps beating and pumping blood as long as it has oxygen, even if it’s removed from your body.
2. Your heart pumps blood through thousand of miles of vessels
All your vessels joined end to end would extend over 60,000 miles.
3. Women are more likely to suffer heart disease
According to American Heart Association data, slightly more women die each year from heart disease than men.
4. There’s a significant difference between peoples’ heart rates
Adult’s hearts beat 60-100 times/minute.
5. ‘Heart to heart’ does exist
Experiments show that watching a loved one in a stressful situation can synchronize both heart rates. Research also shows that when people caress a horse, the horse’s heart rate synchronizes with the person’s heart rate.
6. Blood pressure should be measured in both arms
Most people only measure blood pressure in one arm. Research shows that people whose blood pressure is different in both arms have a higher risk of suffering heart problems.
7. Widowhood increases the risk of heart disease
Research shows that major life changes (including death of your spouse) lead to increased risk of heart attack.
8. Larger hearts are more susceptible to heart disease
Bigger hearts are more vulnerable to heart disease. The most common type is dilated cardiomyopathy.
9. Smiling can prevent cardiovascular disease
A smile warms the soul, laughter makes your vascular endothelium relax, and this increases blood flow for at least 45 minutes.
Research help by Edward Feng