Your brain is part of your body, so like your body, you can add beneficial foods to your everyday diet to nourish your brain so that you can enjoy clarity, focus and a cheerful mood.
Our top 7 happy foods:
- Omega 3 is found in grass-fed beef, free-range eggs and seafood—especially salmon. Omega 3 improves your mood and fights depression by protecting, building, and repairing the brain’s gray matter.
- Turmeric is called “the spice of life.” The earthy-yellow spice has been used for centuries by Chinese doctors to manage stress and depression. Some scientists claim it’s better than prozac!
- Nuts, especially cashews, contain zinc. Low levels of zinc has been linked to anxiety and depression.
- Oats cause your brain to produce the feel-good chemical serotonin.
- Beans and legumes contain selenium, another important nutrient for brain health.
- Green tea contains the calming amino acid theanine. An old Chinese saying goes: “Rather three days without food than a day without tea.”
- A gluten-free diet, although not essential for everyone, can benefit your general health, including mental health. In some people, gluten can wreak havoc on your mood, immune function, and hormone balance. See your local GP if you have concerns.