Year-after-year we follow the cycle of the seasons. If we are sensitive to the symbolism, we can learn that each season has a distinct message for us.
In the fall, we can take a hint from watching the maple leaves turn into gorgeous crimson flags that gently flutter to the ground. It is the time to ‘Let go’.
Fall is the perfect time to reflect inwards, confront, and discard any emotional baggage that is weighing on you, such as fears, grudges, harsh attitudes, and regrets. Once these Fall leaves drop off, you can begin to bud a new and healthy direction in your life—how wonderful!
In Chinese medicine, Fall is connected to the element metal, one of the 5 Elements. In the body, metal is associated with the lungs and stomach—both organs associated with releasing waste—the lungs breathe in oxygen and push out carbon dioxide, while the stomach digests, and eliminates waste from the system.
8 positive things you can do in Fall to help you ‘let go’
- Take a relaxing stroll outside and give your lungs some fresh air. The Fall colored scenery is spectacular this time of year!
- Clean, organize, and turf old and unusable clutter from your house. Give usable objects to charity.
- Wear a scarf to keep the chill out. In Chinese medicine, it is believed that cold (yin) energy can get into the body through the neck and lungs.
- Eat a diet rich in natural oils, and other ‘white foods’, to nourish and build the body’s strength in preparation for Winter.
- Breath deeply to reduce stress and relax.
- Eliminate negativity from your life. Yoko Ono once said: “Try to say nothing negative about anyone for three days. See what happens to your life.”
- Re-evaluate your personal boundaries, as they may have changed. This will empower you, and set a new stage of growth for the coming year.
- Don’t hold emotions in, cry if you need to. Tears are the way the body releases nasty chemicals and stress.
An old Jewish saying goes: “What soap is for the body, tears are for the soul.”