The answer to the headline is…
THE EBOLA FIGHTERS
… that being, all the health care and aid workers who are engaged in the fight against Ebola in West Africa.
Photos of five individuals representing the wider body of people who risk their lives to help Ebola victims feature on the cover of the magazine that hit newsstands on Friday.
The five Ebola fighters who feature on the cover are:
- Liberian surgeon Dr. Jerry Brown (center)
- Nurse aide and survivor Salome Karwah (top left)
- American Ebola survivor Dr. Kent Brantly (bottom right)
- MSF volunteer health promoter Ella Watson-Stryker (bottom left)
- Ambulance team supervisor and survivor Foday Galla (top right)
In her article about why the Ebola fighters were TIME‘s choice, editor Nancy Gibbs wrote:
“For tireless acts of courage and mercy, for buying the world time to boost its defenses, for risking, for persisting, for sacrificing and saving, the Ebola fighters are TIME’s 2014 Person of the Year”.
Over 6,000 people have been killed by the virus so far.
See the above video for more details about TIME’s choice.