Breadfruit can be found throughout Southeast Asia, South India, and most Pacific Ocean islands. It is also grown in the Leeward Islands and Windward Islands of the Caribbean, and in Africa. The peculiar name of this fruit comes from the texture of the fruit when it’s cooked, similar to freshly baked bread.
The Hawaiian Breadfruit, or ‘Ulu’ as the locals call it, has been growing in the Polynesia region for hundreds of years. One of the earliest records of these ‘Ulu’ was by European explorers in 1778. The health benefits of this unique fruit are well worth you figuring out how to get your hands on one.
We put together 5 reasons you should eat breadfruit below!
1. It’s pulp is full of fiber! Dietary fiber is good to reduce cholesterol and ward of cancer causing chemicals from the colon.
2. It has a bunch of vitamin-C! More than jack fruit and bananas, breadfruit provides vitamin-,C which helps the body defend against disease and sickness.
3. It has essential vitamins and minerals! Such as B-vitamins, thiamin, and niacin.
4. Potassium dense! Breadfruit is full of potassium, which helps to regulate heart and blood pressure.
5. Breadfruit has copper, iron, and magnesium! Your body needs all these things, so why not try and find a breadfruit today!
Are there any more reasons to go try breadfruit?
Here’s one—this delicious recipe for breadfruit pudding!