In Chinese medicine, red dates are good for people who lack energy, are in weak health, or are old and need to get more strength.
Red dates and lotus seeds are especially good for women after birth.
In winter, it is recommended you have red date and ginger boiled water, which keeps you warm, and it’s sweet enough to drink as a tea.
Here’s a simple recipe for a nice, healthy red date drink.
- Ginger, one slice
- Lotus seed, half cup
- Red dates, 20 pitted
- Dried longans, 3 pieces
- Water, 8 cups
- Rinse lotus seeds, red dates, and dried longans, drain well.
- In a pot, add water and the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium, and continue to simmer for 3 hours.
- For added sweetness, you can add rock sugar to dissolve if you like.
- Generally, the drink is sweet enough from the red dates.
- Taste for sweetness before serving.
Recipe is from Jenny Wu