Today, I am feeling a bit cold and what better way to warm yourself up then to have a big saucepan full of Chinese chicken and sweet corn that you can graze on all day to warm yourself up.
Here is a very simple recipe, just like from the Chinese restaurants.
You will need:
- 400 grams (14 oz) of chicken breast
- 400 grams (14 oz) can of creamed corn
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger powder or freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 egg
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- Add 1 liter of water to a large pot
- Crumble in both stock cubes
- Add the ginger
- Put chicken breast in the water and then bring to a boil
- When it comes to a boil, turn heat down, put the lid on, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Once chicken is cooked, take out of water and leave to cool
- Once it is cooled, shred into small pieces and try not to eat
- Now add the cornflour into 3 tbsp of water, and whisk until it’s all incorporated
- Then break the egg into a bowl and whisk
- Now add the can of creamed corn into the stock and the sesame oil, and bring it back to a boil
- Once it is boiled, add the shredded chicken and the cornflour mixed in water
- Mix well until it comes back to a boil, then taste, and adjust the seasoning if necessary
- Now slowly tip the beaten egg into the soup while stirring the soup
- Now it is ready to eat. You can garnish with some spring onions if you like.
If you want to make it more of a meal, just cook up some noodles and add to your soup.
Making Chinese chicken and sweetcorn soup:
I am making some right now, and it is smelling delicious!