The first 7 seconds are crucial when meeting someone for the first time. In that short space of time, you will lay down the building blocks of a relationship.
Through remembering to use your gracious social etiquette, you will naturally gain respect, and be seen in a favorable light by albeit your date’s parents, your client, your teacher, or your future employer.
Make that first 7 seconds count, and you will be remembered in a positive light for a long time in the future.
Make a smashing first impression: 7 things in 7 seconds- Go!
1. Smile and make good eye contact. This shows that you are ready to listen and communicate effectively.
2. Don’t fidget, it shows you are nervous and not feeling confident. People will feel reluctant to place their confidence in you.
4. Introduce yourself, it shows you are confident in who you are. Politely ask for their name, it shows you are interested in meeting them.
5. Relax and be yourself. There is nothing more off-putting then watching someone portraying a persona that is not natural—it leaves people thinking: Something’s not quite right with them. You will be considered untrustworthy.
6. Choose your clothes carefully; they are also speaking on your behalf. It’s not so important to be in the best and most recent fashion. However, on a special occasion, or in a professional setting, people will expect you to be dressed smartly in clothes that properly fit the occasion. More than anything, dressing well shows you have self- dignity—a most important trait.
7. Speak slowly and clearly in a relaxed way. You don’t need to be carrying the conversation; instead listen to others and respond in a calm and genteel manner.
First impressions are instant, and hard to change
This video is a social experiment set up as a mock job interview. The social psychologists behind the scenes are interested in how fast first impressions are made, and if they can be readily changed once the opinion is formed. The outcome will shock you.