A French court has ruled in favor of a woman who claims that she now has a disability which was caused by the exposure of man-made electromagnetic radiation. In her claim she will receive $900 a month for three years.
Marine Richard, who is 39, said that the ruling was a “breakthrough” for anyone that has been affected by EHS; while her lawyer, Alice Terrasse, told The Times that this ruling has set a legal precedent opening the way for “thousands of people.”
Is electromagnetic hypersensitivity real?
The disability is known as electromagnetic hypersensitivity syndrome (EHS); the French court awarded the disability grant to the woman, who is claiming to be suffering from a debilitating allergy to the exposure of electromagnetic radiation that is emanating from new technology like mobile phones.
In the court’s ruling it had accepted that the symptoms did prevent Richard from working, but had not recognized EHS as an illness. France is one of many countries that do not recognize EHS as a medical disorder.
There are some experts that think EHS is caused by the “nocebo” effect. This is an effect where by just knowing that a Wi-Fi signal is present, it can make people think they should feel unwell. While that can and does happen, there are some experts that have submitted an appeal to the United Nations (UN) to bring in guidelines that would protect people against electromagnetic radiation.
Fox5 – Wi-Fi Allergies:
Martin Blank, a retired special lecturer in the effects of electromagnetic radiation on cells, from Columbia University Medical Center has said: “They are damaging the living cells in our bodies and killing many of us prematurely.”
Richard now lives alone in the mountains of south-west France, she uses a well for water and lives in a barn that has been renovated and has no electricity; which is a far cry from her old job as a radio documentary producer.