Daaarrrrn it. I missed Talk Like a Pirate Day. None of my friends take me seriously when I mention this wacky and humorous day celebrated on September 19. It’s definitely not as famous as Valentine’s Day or Earth Day, but it is one that all kids at heart can appreciate.
When else can you talk like a pirate all day and not have strangers look at you oddly (but you’ll still get the funny looks if they don’t know). Considering the popularity of Pirates of the Caribbean movies though, I’m surprised this parodic holiday hasn’t gained more awareness.
Ahoy! If you want to learn to speak like a pirate listen to this below:
Speaking of national days, there’s practically a special day for just about everything nowadays. If you live in the U.S., creating a bonafide “national” day requires an act of Congress and requires a considerable amount of time and work.
However, it’s a lot simpler if one is aiming to create a day for a special purpose. Companies, non-profits, local governments, etc. use this as a marketing tactic. Pick a day and month to declare as the “day” and begin a marketing blitz to let everyone know.
If a “day” is not enough, pick a week or month, which is also possible. Sounds easy? Some have more success than others when it comes to getting the message out.
Here’s a quick roster of additional national days for the rest of the month. How many have you heard of before?
- World Car Free Day (make sure to leave your car at home to go to work.)
- White Chocolate Day
- Hobbit Day (I wonder if I can dress like Frodo to the office…?)
- Dear Diary Day
- Elephant Appreciation Day
- Business Women’s Day
- Ice Cream Cone Day (I’ll be heavily engaged in this one)
- Restless Legs Awareness Day
- Checkers Day (Not related to the board game, but to President Richard Nixon’s ‘checkers’ speech.)
- Cherries Jubilee Day
- Punctuation Day
- Hug a Vegetarian Day
- Comic Book Day (Marvel and DC Comics rule!)
- World Dream Day
- Psychotherapy Day
- One-Hit Wonder Day
- World Pharmacists Day
- Love Note Day (Note to self to give wifey one)
- Johnny Appleseed Day
- International Rabbit Day
- Lumberjack Day
- Crush a Can Day
- Ancestor Appreciation Day
- Tourism Day
September also happens to be Piano Month and Chicken Month.