Geomancy (Feng Shui) is a belief commonly accepted by many Chinese, which means the location of a person’s house or ancestral grave, or the way the house is constructed, has an influence on the fortune of a family and his offspring.
According to the Book of Sayings of Confucius and His Disciples, one day the King of Lu (a small country) asked Confucius: “I heard that to expand the house in the eastern direction is inauspicious; is it true or not?”
Confucius said: “There are five inauspicious things, but they do not include expanding the house in the eastern direction.”
What are the five inauspicious things:
1. Making personal gains at the expense of others; this brings bad luck for oneself.
2. Deserting the elderly and focusing on the young in the family; this will bring bad luck for the family: There is a story about this. A son was mean to his father because he was too old to work. This son’s children were mean to him, too. All family members were constantly at war with each other. One day the son went to visit an old sage, saying: “My children are mean to me, which makes me sad. What can I do to improve it?” The sage asked: “How do you treat your parents?” This man, when asked, answered shamefully: “The way my children treat me.” The sage said: “Because you are mean to your parents, your children follow your example, and are mean to you.”
As you sow, so shall you reap; you are the one to blame.
3. Those who are virtuous are deprived of power, while the wicked are put in high positions; this will bring bad luck for the country.
4. The old are not willing to teach, and the young are too arrogant to learn; this will bring bad luck for the culture.
5. The wise and righteous men are excluded from important positions, while wicked and selfish ones seize power and serve as leaders; this will bring bad luck for the world.
So what makes the house inauspicious is not how your house is constructed. A traditional Chinese saying is: “Wherever a person with blessings stays, the place and surroundings will be a good place.” Even if the place is inauspicious according to Feng Shui theories, when a person with blessings lives there for a certain period of time, it will become auspicious.
So the point is not to get someone to check the geomancy of the house, but to cultivate your gratitude to your parents, and be a person with kindness and benevolence, and then you will be blessed with good fortune.