One of the all-time greats of boxing, Muhammad Ali, passed away due to a respiratory illness on June 3 at the age of 74 in a hospital in Phoenix, Arizona.
The American boxer was admired for his charisma, athletic talent, social and civil rights activism, plus his use of words.
“Ali’s way with words were nearly equal to his ring savvy. Here was the best of all trash talkers, a man who could play a charming rogue while slicing the opposition with his tongue. Ali knew the value of getting in an opponent’s head and played his verbal card to the hilt,” wrote Sean Crose of Boxing Insider.
The Champ’s biggest fight was his 32-year-long battle with Parkinson’s disease.
Below are some of his best quotes from a man called by himself and others as “The Greatest”:
- “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. His hands can’t hit what his eyes can’t see. Now you see me, now you don’t. George thinks he will, but I know he won’t.
- “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.”
- “Don’t count the days; make the days count.”
- “I’m so mean, I make medicine sick.”
- “If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it—then I can achieve it.”
- “If you even dream of beating me you’d better wake up and apologize.”
- “Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn’t matter which color does the hating. It’s just plain wrong.”
- “Braggin’ is when a person says something and can’t do it. I do what I say.”
- “A man who has no imagination has no wings.”
- “I’ve wrestled with alligators. I’ve tussled with a whale. I done handcuffed lightning. And throw thunder in jail.”
See this Alltime10s video below for 10 incredible facts about the record-breaking boxing champ: