What do you think about when you think of a Chinese person? That they know kungfu? That they push in line? There are many stereotypes Westerners have when they think about the Chinese. Here are 20 things Westerners usually think about Chinese people.
1. Chinese like to drink hot water. To solve the mystery of why Chinese like to boil their water, this is because water is not safe to drink in China, whether it comes out of a faucet or a well.
2. Love to play chess. Everyone in China is a chess master.
3. Chinese love to square dance. Chinese aunties square dance everywhere they go, from the Louvre in Paris to Times Square in New York.
4. Love to play mahjong.
5. Love to know how much others make per month. Besides salary, they also want to know how old you are, and how much you weigh.
6. When getting a photo, they all show “v” or “peace” signs.
7. Every Chinese person is excellent at kungfu.
8. Chinese will do anything to inflate their ego.
9. All older Chinese people practice Tai Chi early in the morning at the park.
10. Chinese like to take a walk with a bird in a cage.
11. Chinese people eat strange foods, like stinky tofu and thousand-year eggs.
12. Pay close attention to relationships. They believe getting along with clients and one’s boss is very beneficial to one’s career.
13. Chinese people cut in line.
14. Chinese people accumulate plastic bags.
15. Love to compliment other people’s children, such as my neighbor’s children are so polite, so considerate, and have good grades…
16. Love the color red.
17. Favorite greeting: “Have you eaten?” Westerners! Try to remember that is not an invitation for dinner.
18. Own an expensive tea set and drink expensive tea.
19. They are good at math: Chinese children are not allowed to get a “B” in math — that is very disgraceful.
20. Lucky number is 8 or 9.
Research by Monica Song.