Beef soup with tofu is one of the most common Chinese soups. This tasty, nutritious soup is easy to make, and suitable for all ages.
1. 250 grams (9 ounces) of beef, cut into short thin strips – about 3 mm (1/8 inch) thick by 2 1/2 cm (1 inch) long
2. 1 block of silken tofu (or soft tofu), cut into small cubes
3. 2 eggs
4. 2/3 cup of chopped cilantro
5. 1/4 cup chopped green onions
6. 2 tbsp corn starch
7. 8 cups of water
8. 1 tbsp baking soda to tenderize the beef
9. 1/4 tsp mushroom bouillon granules and 2 tsp salt for seasoning
- 2 tsp rice wine
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Mix beef and baking soda in a bowl. Let sit for 20 minutes to tenderise. Rinse thoroughly with cold water and lightly squeeze to drain the liquid. Add beef seasonings to the meat and mix well. Marinate for about 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 2 tbsp of cold water and set aside. In another bowl, beat the eggs and set aside.
- Bring 8 cups of water to the boil, and add the tofu. Bring water back to a boil before lowering the heat to medium and adding the beef. Cook for 2 minutes while stirring to prevent the meat from clumping.
- Slowly pour the beaten eggs into the soup. Continuously stir the soup while pouring to create an egg drop.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the soup and stir. Add cilantro and green onions and stir.
- Add in the soup seasoning and stir.
- Turn off the heat and serve.
- For easier slicing, partially freeze the beef.
- Cut the beef against the grain to break the fibers.
- Add some white pepper powder to the soup as desired for a peppery taste.