When it comes to Chinese beef recipes, Chinese-style beef in black bean sauce is the perfect accompaniment to a Chinese meal, or it can be served individually with steamed rice. Delight in our beef in black bean sauce recipe.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Serves 2
- 1 pound beef fillet steak strips
- 4 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp fermented black beans, washed and dried
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp corn flour
- 5 tbsp chicken stock or water
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green or red pepper, sliced
- Using the back of a wooden spoon, mash the beans into a paste. Add the ginger and garlic, and mix well.
- Into a bowl of sugar, add the soy sauce, vinegar, and corn flour, and using your spoon, mix together well.
- Pour the oil into a heated wok, and spoon in the beef little by little. This is to ensure that the wok does not cool down. If you have a very high flame, you will not need to cook the beef in batches. Let the meat cook for a few minutes before adding the next batch. Repeat until all the beef is fried.
- To the beef, add the bean mixture and stir, making sure that all the meat is evenly coated. Then add the onions, peppers, soy mix, chicken stock, and stir thoroughly. When it has thickened, remove it from the heat.
- Serve the beef in black bean sauce on top of a bed of steamed rice in a bowl and garnish with a sprig of basil.