Halfway through the winter is when the bitter cold part of the season begins every year. An old proverb states: “Eat tonics in winter for activities in spring.” This is the time to pay attention to health maintenance. The following points are guidelines to help you.
Consume these five essential vegetables:
1. Chinese cabbage: It’s good for the lungs and promotes healthy urination.
2. Lotus root: Is good for the stomach and spleen.
3. Bean sprouts: Is good for reducing phlegm and detoxifying.
4. Broccoli: Is good for protecting blood vessels.
5. Scallion: Is good for enhancing vitality.
Two dietary safeguards:
White radish: Good for the lungs and smell of your breath.
Carrot: Good for spleen function and the stomach.
Frequent Consumption of warm-type and hot-type foods will surely keep illness away.
Glutinous rice, sorghum rice, jack bean, chive, fennel, parsley, asparagus, shepherd’s purse, mustard, ginger, pumpkin, and scallion are warm-type foods.
Lamb, trout, chili, cinnamon, and Sichuan pepper are hot-type foods.
Avoid drinking milk on an empty stomach: Helps prevent disorders of the digestive system
Avoid animal liver: To prevent cardiovascular disease incurred by high cholesterol
Keep these four habits for health:
1. Go to bed early and get up early. Get at least eight hours of sleep.
2. Wear a scarf to ward off the wind and cold.
3. Take a shower in the morning to enhance immunity.
4. Rub the waist for 10 minutes each day to enhance blood circulation.
Massage the following five points:
1. Baihui point: (on the crown of the head) to prevent a cold.
2. Danzhong point: (midway between the nipples) to extend one’s lifetime.
3. Qihai point: (about one and a half inches directly below the navel) helps with detoxing.
4. Laogong point: (in the middle of the palm) for easing anxiety leading to a strong heart.
5. Yongquan point: (on the soles of the feet) gets you calm and allows you to sleep better.
1. Cold protection: Wear a warm hat to prevent strokes.
2. Anxiety protection: Frequent consumption of warm water, and keep the indoor air humid.
3. Flu protection: Stretch the body to improve its cold-resisting ability and to enhance circulation.
Translation: Jean Chen