The annual Hong Kong candlelight vigil to mark the 24th anniversary of the June 4 Tiananmen Massacre was held in Hong Kong’s Victoria Park on the evening of June 4. Lee Cheuk-Yan, the chairman of the Hong Kong Alliance In Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China, which organises the vigil, said that at least 150,000 people turned up at Victoria Park.
“Participants in tonight’s candlelight vigil hope to send a message to Beijing that Hong Kong’s citizens insist on justice for the Tiananmen Square massacre,” Lee said yesterday. While police released the official number in attendance at 54,000 people, six basketball courts were packed with people.
According to the South China Morning Post, among the participants in the night’s event was 84-year-old Liang Sing-ling, who has attended every vigil since 1990. “The most important thing is to vindicate the movement and mourn for the dead,” Liang said. “These are the reasons why people come every year.”
Another participant in the vigil was one of the 21 Tiananmen activists still wanted by the Communist Party. So far, he has not been identified, but he arrived in Hong Kong from the United States to join the event to mourn his comrades who died in the Tiananmen Massacre.
The other mainland dissidents or their relatives attending the event: Li Wanling, sister of June 4 blind activist Li Wangyang, who mainland authorities claimed committed suicide last year, and Lu Yanjing, the widow of Zhang Lin, who died in the Tiananmen protest.
Many people from Mainland China came to Hong Kong to join the candlelight vigil. A sudden rainstorm and heavy downpour didn’t drive the people away. An abrupt power failure made the candlelit night even more special. It was a very touching moment to see young and old people from all walks of life sitting there. Many of the people remained after the memorial.
Like this article? Subscribe to our weekly email for more!