A recent survey of women in South West China revealed some interesting comments about the modern woman’s role in the family.
- Most importantly, she practices filial piety, and shows respect for her parents-in-law.
- Even if she’s busy, she takes over housework from her in-laws, like washing the dishes, and cleaning the floors.
- She has her own job, and doesn’t depend on her husband’s salary.
- She loves her husband deeply, and values a happy marriage.
- She gets on with the neighbors on both sides.
- She considers the family’s reputation in everything she says and does.
- She’s a friend to her children, and doesn’t yell at or beat them.
- She only returns to her parent’s place if there’s a disagreement with the in-laws, stays no longer than three days, and doesn’t gossip while away.
- She doesn’t fuss over how much her in-laws spend on bills and lifestyle.
- She is beautiful, smart, and funny.
Overall, readers agreed with points 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7. They were less decided about point 3, and the report quoted an interviewee on this: “Modern women have their own jobs, but after they get married, they sometimes have to sacrifice themselves. It’s not easier to be a homemaker than working full-time.”
They also agreed less with the last three points, especially point 10.
Bloggers had their own opinions on the survey. One said: “Why would such a perfect woman need a husband?”
Another wrote: “What about the standards for a perfect son-in-law?”
A third commented:
It’s normal if one can’t meet them all because they’re the standards for a perfect daughter-in-law.
Research by Lulu