Do you love a good mountain climb? How does it make you feel? Climbing mountains isn’t just great for your health and fitness—it can really get you inspired.
Here are two unforgettable mountain climbing experiences to add to your bucket list.
Climbing Huashan in China
“Plank Road in the Sky” is the official name of the exciting cliff climb at Mount Huashan, near Xi’an, capital of Shaanxi Province, China. Before you take this mountain challenge, you need to know the following information about this kind of hiking:
- There is a cable car to take you from the West Peak to the South Peak where the Plank Road is located, and you have to hike almost 30-40 minutes from there to the destination.
- Plankroad itself only takes 30 minutes to finish, but when you do it, you have to turn around and go back the same way you came.
- You don’t need to bring or purchase a harness. They have rentals there. It currently costs US$5. More price information is here.
Climbing by bike
Another special way to challenge yourself is bicycle climbing. Try to improve your climbing speed step by step, and use a GPS device to calculate distance and time—your riding skills will get better and better!
When the path is steep, you’ll need to stand up on your bicycle to get more power, and keep good balance. Wikihow has some useful tips. It may be hard at first, but it will get more fun as you practice.
- Prepare yourself mentally
- Start the hill climb staying seated on the bike seat
- As you move up the hill, crouch down
- Toward the top of the hill, stand up from the seat
- Learn how to shift gears going uphill
- Keep practicing
- Try using low gear with a steep hill
- In turns, take the long way on the outer side of the turn
- Have a rest at the top of the hill
- Descend with care
Get some inspiration by watching pro rider Danny MacAskill in these mountains:
Climbing mountains is exhilarating. You’ll also become more patient, as you can relax your mind, and enjoy the spectacular views Mother Nature has to offer.
My friend once told me he felt like he was in a resort when he climbed mountains: He got to relax, release his stress, and balance his life with his busy work. There’s really a lot you can learn from a mountain!
So go and do it. Get your backpack on, grab your water bottle, and go climbing!