Chicken is the most affordable option of organic meats and a good source of protein. Xinjiang Style Chicken is an easy Chinese meal to prepare.
The following ingredients can be varied according to taste.
- Half a fresh chicken cut into small pieces
- 3 potatoes (sliced into 1/4″ slices)
- Several mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 1-2 green onions (chopped)
- 1 piece fresh ginger (1″ sliced)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2-1 tsp Sichuan pepper
- 3-4 chilies
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat oil in a wok and fry Sichuan pepper thoroughly.
- Add chicken, green onion, ginger, garlic, and chilies, stirring for a few minutes. Then add light soy sauce, water, sugar, salt, and mushrooms. Let these ingredients stew for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes, cook on low heat till potatoes are soft.
- Add green and red peppers, mix well, and serve.