Taking daily foot baths has been a long-standing practice in traditional Chinese medicine to promote blood circulation and nip cold conditions in the bud before they develop into a cold or flu.
Many ingredients can be added to your foot bath water, giving relief from specific conditions. Here is a list of some common ingredients you can try at home:
- Salt relieves constipation, eliminates fatigue and insomnia.
- Vinegar helps to cure athletes foot and foot odor. It also promotes blood circulation and soothes rheumatism.
- Raw tangerine and ginger peel will dispel dampness and warm the stomach.
- Pepper sprinkled into water deodorizes feet and works to eliminate dampness and increase yang qi (chi).
- Epsom salts relieve muscle pain and stiffness.
- Chamomile tea calms swollen and sore feet.