Darwin Award Winner? Sick Chinese Man Smokes in Oxygen Chamber, Dies in Huge Fireball

The remains of an oxygen chamber after a patient lit up a cigarette there. (Screenshot/aboluowang)
The remains of an oxygen chamber after a patient lit up a cigarette there. (Screenshot/aboluowang)

A man in Guangdong Province died after he decided to light up while inside a high-pressure oxygen chamber, blowing up the hospital ward in the process.

The 65-year-old was getting hyperbaric treatment for a head wound, and is thought to have grabbed a cigarette while the doctors were out of sight.

His bed linen quickly caught fire, and the oxygen triggered an explosion.

During the investigation, a melted lighter was found with the man’s charred body. His family is demanding to know why the hospital staff hadn’t taken it away from him.

Translated research by Lulu.

Telescope Reveals New Source of Gamma Rays
Dozens Perish in Explosion at Car Parts Plant in East China