As Alibaba prepares to list shares on the New York Stock Exchange on Sept. 19, here are some things you should know about China’s e-commerce giant:
- Alibaba gets 11.3 billion orders per year, beating Amazon and eBay combined.
- Its retail websites have 231 million active buyers.
- On China’s “singles day” in 2013, Alibaba’s sites took almost $6 billion in a single day.
- UPS delivered over 4 billion parcels globally for Alibaba in 2013.
- Alibaba’s shares will be sold by a holding company in the Cayman Islands due to the Chinese government’s restrictions on foreign investment in Internet firms.